Sunday, January 28, 2007

Reading Clint's wish list makes me wonder if some of Kahlil Gibran's other books deal with some of these issues. I shall investigate.

However, I think that there is a compositional reason that these topics were left out of The Prophet. I feel like this book is supposed to be a handbook of humanist philosophy; that is, I think Gibran intends that by reading this book, the reader might get an idea about how to live. I feel like he would have declared war to be outside the sphere of individual (well, most individuals) influence, and therefore out of place in The Prophet. All in all, I think the book is more properly thought of as a guidebook rather than musings. I don't much go in for books like this at all usually, but this book seems to merit further consideration. Maybe it's just so short that I didn't have time to get irritated.

Summarizing this book on the way back from DC, I said that I thought the general thesis of this book is that, in order to best live, we ought to maximize our humanity -- we should completely engage in all these things that Gibran would say are essential to being human.

No comments: